Bellarmine

What a shitty month of athletics. I feel like every game across football, basketball and hockey is a guaranteed loss…frustrating

1 Like

and to add insult to injury a guy named Bash (no relation) scored 2 points for Bellarmine.

2 Likes

Is GT that bad? Were we just lucky to catch them in the opener after losing two key guys from the previous season? I’m of course glad we won that game because a P5 win is always big, but it really gave us a false sense of encouragement for this season. A veteran team doesn’t necessarily mean a good team.

2 Likes

The win over Georgia Tech was impressive, but it really is the only “good” win Miami has. Heidelberg and Defiance are teams that really shouldn’t be on our schedule. Lamar is 2-10 with wins over Wiley and Lady of Lakes. Steson is 4-6 with wins over Lamar, Florida Memorial and Johnson, FL.(along with one decent victory over College of Charleston). So when we were 5-0, the record was somewhat misleading to say the least.

2 Likes

I’m happy for Bellarmine. They deserved to win. They out everythinged us even though we had a significant advantage in physical talent.

If you had to sum up Miami basketball since Charlie retired, this game did a pretty good job of it. A lack of intensity and urgency. Poor defensive fundamentals. The inability to make the simple play. Poor scouting. No apparent in-game adjustments.

We had 2 assists and 6 turnovers in the 2nd half. We had 10 assists for the entire game, Penn for them had 10 by himself. They had 2 guys who could shoot 3s, they went 8/16 today. Bellarmine shot 59% for the game, 67% in the 2nd half.

Who knows what we’re going to do in the MAC? We could finish anywhere from 3rd-12th.

3 Likes

I think everyone knew the 5-0 start was misleading considering our opponents, but we beat the good team and pounded the bad ones. We did all we could do, and there was no reason to think we didn’t have a chance at a pretty solid season.

Seems to me that we are generally the inferior team….

1 Like

Today was embarrassing. After the first 3 games, I was thinking about working my calendar to go to Cleveland for the MAC tourney. Now thinking we won’t even be hosting a first round Monday MAC game. Horrible. Hope they can turn it around.

1 Like

Nobody will be hosting a 1st round tourney game. Top 8 go right to Cleveland. I still think there are 4 MAC teams we’re better than, but we’ll see.

Over the years I have followed college sports pretty closely, but am not familiar with Bellarmine even though they are located in Louisville. Small Catholic private school with a grand total of 2,600 undergraduates.

Lose at home with a senior laden team. I wonder what a practice for this team looks like.

1 Like

Question for anyone who attended today’s game: it seemed on the TV feed that there were more Bellarmine fans in Millett than Miami fans. The cheers were always louder when they scored. Am I right?

1 Like

Herb Sendek on line 2

3 Likes

Bellarmine had a decent crowd. Most of their players from the region: Louisville, Lexington, Indy, and 4 from Cinti.

https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/sports/mens-basketball/roster

4 Likes

Thanks for verifying my hunch.

You would think it would be hard, but I’m not sure with this staff. Others will know better. It’s bothersome that a couple of players played so much yet gave so little in terms of effort.

1 Like

Here’s the short story…like every other regional opponent, their program is better than ours.

We are not winning games when Ayah is scoring 13 and Dalonte sub-double digits (means our better players have been taken out of game).

Additionally…Bellarmine shot 55+%…do you even practice any D, Jack?!

Time to go, you have a roster of 22-24 year olds and you can’t beat or defend Bellarmine at home…not that home court means much on a four game losing streak, but still pathetic that Miami is headed for 14-15 in year 5?

Worst program in the region…just have no sense of pride, ownership or winning aspirations…so sad…OU will likely sweep Football and Bball this year as well.

2 Likes

“Worse program in the region”. First knee-jerk reaction–Nah. After seven seconds of actual thinking about it–you are, most unfortunately, absolutely right.

As I recall, mediocre got John Cooper 5 years…so this staff has another year after this one…just a thought.

Chess club anyone?

That would be amazing.

1 Like