Bahamas Bowl roll call

FWIW, we got a room at the Holiday Inn Express on Western Esplande Beach. Easy walk to downtown too. We’ll cab it to the stadium on game day.

I’m just pointing out that Aveon’s overall offense numbers last game were pretty good, 3TDs, 300 plus yards, in a very unconventional way.

So not following the quote here.

I’m sure there will be a QB battle, and as I said above, pretty sure it will be with Humphreys.

Otherwise, in terms of scoring I mean, you do realize under CM Miami’s O has averaged ~25 points, so some of the lack of O is just inherent to Koehler/CM, not the QB’s performance.

I’m only torn on AV if there could be more consistency from him, what could be…in that he got us to 6 wins (basically CM’s high-water) playing on and off…his running ability has been the most dynamic thing the O has seen in awhile, and maybe forcing CM to something different on O.

…and you quoting this why?

I’m just pointing out that Aveon’ overall offense numbers last game were pretty good, 2TDs, 300 plus yards, in a very unconventional way.

I’m sure there will be a QB battle, and as I said above, pretty sure it will be with Humphreys.

Otherwise, in terms of scoring I mean, you do realize under CM Miami’s O has averaged ~25 points, so some of the lack of O is just inherent to Koehler/CM.

I’m only torn on AV if there could be more consistency from him…in that he got us to 6 wins

They weren’t pretty good. They were only acceptable if you look at them in a vacuum. Less than a 40% completion percentage. I know you don’t subscribe to the idea of offensive efficiency, but it was about as inefficient as you could be.

It’s one thing to miss deep throws, but he didn’t even put the ball in a position for his receivers to make a play. Every ball was either thrown out of bounds or well over their heads. As a receiver, that sucks. Hip nearly made an insane catch, got hurt, and it was for nothing because it was still too far outside.

Compare his line to CJ Harris, who made his first start and was part of the same class as Smith…

The one thing that Aveon does better than anyone else, is compete and forget about what happened last play. He threw some awful deep balls (including an INT), but he didn’t let that stop him from throwing one more to Marshall. He’s never easy to tackle.

I’m not saying he can’t be good one day, but accuracy is the hardest thing to teach.

5 Likes

My flight is booked.

I have also convinced 2 friends with no affiliation to Miami other than their proximity to me to book flights. Weirdly, those same people weren’t interested in Frisco or Mobile.

6 Likes

Updated 131 Rankings on The Athletic: UAB is #66 Miami is #109.

Don’t agree UAB is 40 teams better than Miami. Chuck should post this in the Locker Room.

2 Likes

Interesting coaching dynamics going on at UAB. They’ve played all season with an interim. He’s a holdover assistant from the well-respected and beloved Bill Clark staff. He went 6-6 and got them to a bowl. Yet comments on the UAB fan board seem to indicate the AD and school administration aren’t going to offer him the job. In fact, there are indications a new UAB head coach might be named within the next week. I assume the interim will coach the Blazers in the bowl but who really knows. We also don’t have any idea what impact the coaching intrigue might have on their team. Stay tuned…

Missed this…I would not say I don’t subscribe to eff% stats…just that Aveon’s are a bit skewed by bad OC. AV should not ever throw 40+, and that was not all due to being behind, we were throwing early. His last drives versus Ball State were under pressure and they were good throws on several occasions…looked a lot better. A couple that were high end, of course.

I mean Aveon’s numbers are much closer to Harris’ in the NIU game…I think one INT alters it (or not sure if there was one…but their passing numbers were very close)… it was not egregious difference (they both threw for ~190 yards and were 48%, with one TD in air, AV 2 on ground/Harris 3 on ground). AV has essentially led Miami to one game short of their max win total under CM, with one game to go (and that deficit is b/c of one extra opportunity - MACC).

If we can game plan like NIU, and AV can get his eff% to 80-90…plus his running ability…we are probably winning 8 games per year…think about that for a moment.

Note: Ben Jackson was in on OL. What a catch and throw…had not seen this angle!

All I’m saying is not sure you can write this kid off…he’ll be in the mix, but I expect a big push from Humphreys…if Brett can start as true frosh, Humphreys can do it as r-Fr, based on his tape.

2 Likes

Not looking good for the Shakos getting the bowl invite. Hearing band will go but limited to 45 team members

Redsea’s attendance percentage has dropped to 20%

1 Like

The Kia Rio at the country club syndrome applies to far more than just the football program itself. The big money schools seem to have been taking their whole bands almost everywhere all season. We got ours all the way to Cincinnati and back.

1 Like

Just booked my flight!

Are you attending the Bahamas Bowl?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

1 Like

I’m actually surprised the band is going at all due to the logistics and cost.

UAB not sending their band according to their board

1 Like

Room rates at most of the hotels on the Miami link look like they’re in the $500-700 a night range.I found one at $221 a night.

Holiday Inn Express on Western Esplande Beach for as little as $182 a night.

1 Like

Which board are you watching? It looks like they have at least a couple.

This article says Miami’s band is not going to the Bahamas Bowl either. Bummer for the kids and for fans who enjoy parades and the traditional battle of the bands. St Petersburg and Mobile were really fun band events.

The Bahamas Bowl isn’t anything close to a traditional bowl game and not just because of the exotic location. By several accounts there is very little local interest in the game, so much so that in past years there haven’t even been ticket takers or ushers in the stadium. Apparently fans just casually stroll around the 15,000 seat stadium as they please, sipping on their favorite cold beverage. It’s more of a made for TV Bahamas tourism event than a real bowl game.

Maybe one day we’ll reach the Cotton Bowl or the Orange Bowl like our Kalamazoo and DeKalb brethren. It just seems so far away right now…

1 Like

This!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/20/bahamas-bowl-is-greatest-bowl-heres-why/

And this:

1 Like

So based on the latest polling numbers, there will be 2.88 (let’s round up to 3) hawktalkers attending the Bahamas Bowl. Let’s assume each of the three will have a +1. Six fans in the stands… we’re going to have to make a lot a noise.

7 Likes

Yeah I have downgraded to 1%. No band is going now. They couldnt find a charter flight from my sources. They werent performing pregame or halftime