At Western Michigan Thread

Looks like we’re down 3-1 after two.

Berg. Berg. Berg. Berg. Berg. Berg. I need this win. Please get me this win.

Down 4-1 in the third. Losing 2/3 of our face offs. Not acceptable.

2 Likes

Doggone it Berg. Is it too soon for me to summon The Lurker? LURKER!!! We need you! What’s the deal here. How good/or terrible are we?m

Also, Lurker, may I call you Lurker? It’s been a while so I want to make sure the terms are still abiding.

Just awful. So much for any progress this season.

1 Like

YellowNumber5, may I call you YellowNumber5? I saw the bat signal from the event I was at this evening. My thoughts:

I’m not sure what people were expecting going into league play. We tied/beat a CCHA bottom feeder. We beat an Atlantic Hockey bottom feeder. The Lowell split was a good one but the HE coaches poll had them in the middle of the pack. So while Lowell was solid split, what could anyone really conclude from Ferris/Canisius? We SHOULD be beating the bottom feeders of the bottom feeder leagues. We weren’t able to do that last year, so OK, we’re better. And the generic eye test of what we see on the ice confirms it. But when you measure this against the best of the best you find out pretty quickly that incremental improvement is not enough to move the needle. We weren’t picked to finish last in our league because all the other coaches have their collective heads up their arses, right? They clearly have an opinion as to how our rebuild is progressing. I think we can split with the UNOs and CCs this year (because they also suck) and scrounge up a few upsets against the top 5, but that’s about it. We’ll travel for the playoffs and get bounced in 2 games.

tl;dr version: We’re marginally better than last year but, where the rubber really meets the road, we still suck.

Back to lurking.

2 Likes

If it makes any of you all feel better (because it definitely made me feel better!), here’s the reason that I completely missed tonight’s game. I’m extremely confident that it was 1000000% better than watching whatever happened on the ice…

Back to your previously scheduled bitching about how bad (although definitely marginally improved) the hockey team is… :grinning:

14 Likes

Congratulations to your Eagle Scout! A great accomplishment.

2 Likes

Lurker, (yes, and since we are colleagues, my surname of Chicken Tenders is also acceptable) I thank you for your insights and for answering the signal. I still think 14 wins is possible but we are gonna need to start getting splits in a hurry. Ps, I had a McRib yesterday. It was glorious. First time since 1983. It really brightened up my day, but I found it gave me truly lethal onion breath. Say, might I suggest you tell coach Berg about this as a possible pre-game meal for the team as it might help with our defense? No one at home wanted to be within ten feet of me.

1 Like

I logged back in to offer my congratulations. I, too, am a proud parent of an Eagle Scout.

Back to lurking.

1 Like

I have no pipeline to anyone important; Bonk will have to deliver your McRib message.

Back to lurking.

1 Like

:+1::us::clinking_glasses:

In 2017, Kansas football’s only win was against a 3-8 FCS team. They lost to two MAC teams and their average margin in Big 12 play was -32.1.

In 2018, Kansas football beat CMU by 24 and Rutgers by 41. Their average margin in Big 12 play was -15.1.

So they clearly were dramatically improved. They still only improved their record from 1-11 to 3-9 and their coach got fired.

When you’re starting from such a low point, you can improve by a lot and still suck. What I’m saying is that we’re basically 2018 Kansas right now. We just need to find our Lance Leipold.

1 Like

4-1–1 start was built on beating bad teams except Lowell. Team is sadly still bad. Hope at least gets double digit wins this season.