At Western Illinois

Don’t we have hockey playing today?

1 Like

UC lost to Monmouth today, too They’ve lost back-to-back after a hot start to the season. They’re definitely good, but we can beat them.

Can we?

2 Likes

A new Miami motto in the making–“We can beat you, but we probably will not”–damn, this is typed with a football lose hang over.

According to KenPom, GT is 67, and UC is 80. We beat Tech while shooting 6-31 from 3. So yes, we can beat them. Need to play much better defense than we did today, though.

79-67 final. We were outshot on 3 pointers 15-28 to 5-21. Since we couldn’t watch the game I have no idea if that’s bad defense or if we just ran into a hot shooting team. Mekhi Lairy went 3-16 from the floor.

Sandage, Carius, Barisic, and Massner were a combined 53-149 (35.6%) coming into the game. Together, they shot 15-27 (55.6%) today.

Nothing like a Miami team on a UC schedule to get them healthy…wish UC had won today.

Hopefully being at home gives us more of an edge…on to Western Illinois first.

You realize we just lost to WIU, right?

Now I do…lol.

Not shocked…did not see this listed on TV or talked about much.

Oh the Miami hangover sets in.

Do we get to restart the WIU game? That sounds great.

If no Miami fans got to watch it, did it even happen?

1 Like

I’m still not convinced the 2015 MAC tournament game against EMU actually happened.

1 Like

Losing this game to WIU is a very disappointing but predictable result. I thought we had a chance to have a really neat season but based on this result it will be a heavy senior laden team that goes 18-13 or something like that

I’m not counting…did not see anything.

If there was no t shirt it officially did not happen.

1 Like

Is there a leatherneck redhawk trophy?

Two things:

1. @Redsea an 18-13 season would be our best winning % since 2005-06. I want that to sink in lest we feel that would be disappointing.

2. Feels to me we fell victim in a classic trap game situation. Sucks, but I don’t think it erases my optimism for the season. Also, Western Illinois isn’t terrible. They have wins over a B10 team and NKU and are now 5-2. Kudos to them.

Even in the very best Miami years we have some ugly losses on the road:

2006-07: lost at Illinois St by 24
1998-99: lost at UW Green Bay by 18
1996-97: lost to Texas Southern by 4
1994-95: lost at New Hampshire by 3

This year’s team isn’t as good as any of those teams from the 90’s, of course, but my point is if they can suffer a ‘bad’ loss so can this team.

Regroup, practice hard for a few days, and let’s give the Bearcats hell on Wednesday.

3 Likes

Those Leathernecks treated us like they were our daddy. Our Leather Daddy!

To follow-up on today’s game specifically, it’s a weird box score. Obviously didn’t see any of it (how is that possible in this day and age?) but some Positives and Negatives:

Negatives:

-Lairy went 3-16 from the field. I don’t expect this to occur again this year. He’s too talented.

-ICL has to give more. Full stop. 0/4 from the field is unacceptable. We’re going to go as our guards go, and when 2 of 3 have really off games that’s trouble.

-Only 6 assists on 21 made field goals. This is a big departure from what has been one of the best trends of the season. Without having seen the game, I don’t know what was different today.

-Myja White only took 1 shot. Miami is at its best when he’s taking about 8/game. Usually a sign of great ball movement when he’s scoring because he’s a catch and shoot guy.

-Ames and Eli, our backup bigs, gave us 0 field goals and 4 rebounds in 21 total minutes. The quicker Beck gets back, the better.

-No bench contributions really to speak of. Williams, ICL and one of the bigs have to become more consistent presences. This is where we miss Beck + Etzler.

Positives:

-Only 5 turnovers as a team. This is great. Miami is consistently taking care of the ball. Portends to success.

-Shot 20/23 from the FT line as a team

-Dalonte seems to be playing within himself this season. 12 points on 8 shots. No turnovers. Kudos to him for his continued development.

-Dae Dae had 22 pts on 17 attempts. Good individual scoring day for him in a loss.

2 Likes

I ain’t about to kink-shame