6-6

Chuck Martin has 1 winning season in 7 full years at Miami (discounting whatever last year was).

Our program is a celebration of mediocrity.

4 Likes

And zero OOC FBS wins. Mods can move this to Fire Chuck Martin thread.

Just tired of mediocrity. Hard to get excited about a great overall winning % in conference play - need to win titles not just get close

3 Likes

I’d like to know what his lofty MAC record is against MAC teams that finished above 500.

If we were an 8-4 team right now that lost a tough game to Kent…with wins for us over OU and Minnesota…then a bowl win to go 9-4, it would be great.

Instead…we are once again, what we are.

3 Likes

Good point - beating Akron and BG don’t mean much

1 Like

10-15. 10-8 if you take out the first two seasons.

1 Like

Chuck is past his expiration, but unfortunately there’s nearly zero chance of a coaching change given the $1.25 million buyout. If we won today and next week there may have been a slight chance of him getting hired away with two MAC titles in three years, but not now unless some P5 AD is desperate and gets no bites from other better coaches in the conference (Lewis, Creighton for sure) or the rest of the football world.

1 Like

This coaching staff’s accomplishments - over eight seasons - are indeed the epitome of mediocrity. 6-6 in the weaker division of perhaps the weakest FBS conference is pure mediocrity, although I in no means mean to disparage our student athletes, who I do not view as mediocre in their talent levels at all. We beat two G5 MAC teams with winning records this season, three G5 MAC teams with losing records and one FCS team with a losing record. Our student athletes are capable of a considerably higher level of accomplishment. This coaching staff just doesn’t seem to be able to move the needle above the 7-5, 6-6, 5-7 range.

3 Likes

Honestly, I would’ve seriously considered non renewing Chuck after the BG goal line fiasco, the UC time out disaster, the bowl game field goal head scratcher, the out of conference record, the record against reasonably good MAC teams the aggregate of these etc. it does seem as if he and the staff recruit ok, the players seem to like him, the couple of families I talked to at the bowl game expressed their good feelings toward him and during the short time I talked to him I was comfortable. Screw it, nice guys don’t always make good coaches-he has to go. Contract probably will keep him around though.

1 Like

Don’t fall for the nice guy persona.

2 Likes

Mediocre is the new “pretty good season.”

I don’t know the man personally, so I can’t say whether he’s a “nice guy” or not. He does seem to have an underserved arrogance, though, and he’s made it pretty clear he would love to leave Miami if someone came calling (which I don’t fault him for, but maybe don’t be transparent about it?).

1 Like

It doesn’t bother me at all that he wants to advance his career and move up…my issue is his lack of winning attitude and preparation to win every game on our schedule, including high visibility OOC FBS games. “Throwing in the towel” before kickoff rubs me the wrong way.

2 Likes

Totally agree - “we can’t recruit the same players” excuses have worn out their welcome. The “Aw shucks we just a little old team” defeatist attitude is not helpful. Winningest MAC program over the past 5 years is a smokescreen - only so-so against winning programs.

2 Likes

No one is ever coming calling for him with this record…so we need to stop extending him

5 Likes

Today shows why preparing correctly with a winning attitude projected by the coaches for OOC games is critical. Yeah, it’s great to prepare for the MAC schedule, but guess what, there is ALWAYS an OU game outcome each of Chuck’s years, so ya better go 2-2 in non conference!

1 Like

2 wins against winning teams this year. Yeah, great. We can beat shitty teams. Woo Hoo!! Louisiana Tech just fired a coach this week who had an immensely better record than CM in the same number of years. As Alex said, ADs office has succumbed to the illusion that mediocrity is winning. I can’t on the one hand talk about how great our recruiting is when we can’t even win the damn MAC East. Either are recruits aren’t very good, the coaching isn’t very good, or both. Personally I have to believe our recruits are as good, if not better, than Kent. So…what does that leave?

4 Likes

We have probably the second or third best QB in the conference. He’s throwing to the best receiver in the conference (who’s also one of the best in the country), a very good number 2 receiver, and multiple good TEs. We have a solid stable of running backs. Our o-line is inexperienced, but they’re not bad.

We have the best d-line in the league. Our linebackers are tackling machines. Our secondary has holes, but they’re still a middle of the road unit in this conference.

There’s no reason we should be going 6-6 (5-3), not winning the division, and very possibly not making a bowl game while playing in easily the weakest division in FBS. The Chuck Martin paradox is that he’s made us into a very solid program, he just has no idea what to do with the program he’s created.

12 Likes

Bingo…just not good game day coaches.

Loyal to staff that does not get better.

Also no reason for the D to give up 600+ yards to a barely-better-than-mediocre conference opponent.

2 Likes