2022 Season - How many Wins?

That seems so strange…that we play Buffalo in our division every year and Ball State as an annual crossover but we haven’t played Toledo since 2011. If we miss them again in 2022 it’s 11 straight seasons without a game against the Rockets.it used to be a pretty good rivalry back in the day.

2 Likes

And UC!!!

1 Like

Timeout, for you!

:laughing:

1 Like

7 wins regular season + hopefully 2 more.

1 Like

Is it so hard to get a 2 for 1 out of some of these B1G ‘lower third’ teams? NW can’t come here? Minn went to BG in 2021. And why does the home opener have to be FCS?

1 Like

I think Robert Morris is the last FCS we have currently scheduled.

I am seeing 6 or 7 wins out of that schedule

1 Like

They did come here, not too terribly long ago (2006). As did Vandy (2008). We hosted Iowa when Ben was here. Granted, it’s not often, but it’s not like it never happens. We’ve been pretty awful the last decade and a half. What’s in it for any P5 team to come to Yager and kick the crap out of us?

I would think they would be far more hesitant to come to Yager if we were turning in consistent 9-3 or 10-2 seasons and winning some P5 games on the road. I would think they’d relish a one for three with pretty much three guaranteed FBS wins.

I think the home Power 5 appetite is based on the ADs philosophy and finances. I remember Joel Maturi talking about a home and home with BC but he was worried about losing money in the home game.

Sayler does not think home games with P5 make financial sense. For me I would rather schedule a bunch of 2 for 1s with P5s like Pitt and WVu then our current home game with FCS- away game at Big 10, UC and Army model.

But my guess is since Martin already thinks a schedule with UC-Minn-Army and Long Island is too hard then removing Army and Long Island for two more P5s isnt gonna work

If you want to have fun look at our 2002
Schedule

Perhaps. Though if we were good, they would look at it as a potential quality win.

1 Like

Redsea-why would a home game with a P5 school not make financial sense? We wouldn’t be paying them would we? A P5 school should draw a better crowd right?

I guess maybe the thinking would be we can get a $$$million plus traveling to a P5 vs a lot less, even with a good crowd, at a home game?

We are getting paid 1.4 million to play at Kentucky next year and 950k to play at Northwestern. No home game is going to make that much.

Sometimes giving up money might make some sense. It is not always a direct dollar that is the value.
2 for 1 series against WVU/PITT/IU/PURDUE/NW/VANDY/CUSE/UK/VATECH/ETC could make sense. Fans pack the house and get excited + get excited if we win (better chance at home) + get excited for the OU/KSU/BG/UB/UA/other MAC games after the P5 win at HOME.
Get rid of the FCS games! Replace them with some MWC/AAC/SBC/CUSA teams for 1:1. Why pay an FCS team when we can make more money with a MWC team and 1:1?

2 Likes

Honest question: Where does most of the money we make from these buy games go? Coaches salaries? Other sports programs?

From what I have heard, since the athletic budget comes from the university general fund, the money goes back to the university.

I think the reason a home game p5 doesnt make sense is the fee you have to pay the visiting team

As mentioned above you normally have to pay between $1M to $1.5M for visiting teams unless FCS then it is more like $300k.

Now often in a home and home that fee is minimal as both parties are getting a home game

But if your Miami here are the two scenarios you could have- road game at UK (receive $1.3M) and home game vs Robert Morris (pay $300k) and net $1M

Lets compare that to a home and home with Syracuse and Kansas (those are the type of schools that you probably could get a home and home with) and lets say those net to zero- whatever you got from one you pay the other

So the question is can you make $1M in tickets- merchandise-concessions from hosting Syracuse vs Robert Morris? The answer is no- you probably would draw 5,000 more for Syracuse- but even if it was 10,000 more paying customers at $25 per ticket that is only $250,000. Remember also students pay zero. There may be a some higher concessions too but you wont make up the difference

That would be my strategy if it works.

1 Like

Well Northwestern did come to Yager in the not-too-distant past. Actually that game was the true start of the mid-2000s slide.

1 Like

And we really should have been 2-1 with that 2002 OOC. Of course comparing that era to this one (or just about any other time period) is not fair for one rather obvious reason.