2022 Football Rankings

The 2022 pre-season rankings are beginning to emerge…the current CBS ranking for all 131 teams has Miami at #87, 6th best in the MAC and just behind Kent State at 2nd in the East. There are 9 P5 teams ranked below us, including Northwestern. We are up three positions nationally since the earlier ranking.

1 Like

This is a truly off projection. I predict a huge year this year. I’m going all in on 9-10 wins. (Cue the laughter/mocking). I don’t blame you for doing so. Just have a feeling this year is gonna be decent.

3 Likes

Death, taxes, Toledo choking

Every pre season Mag has Miami #1 in the MAC East and no worse than 2nd overall.

2 Likes

i think the CBS list is last year’s rankings? the preseason polls i’ve seen have UC in the 10-13 range…this CBS list shows 4th?

It’s weird because it shows it was updated on July 14.

I agree. If our recruiting classes are as good as ranked, our portal transfers fill the holes, our O-line shows its depth and experience, Brett and Hip stay healthy and our stable of running backs can produce, this just might be the year Miami makes a lot of noise in the G5. A decent showing without significant injuries at UK, a win at Northwestern, a big revenge upset over UC and a MAC sweep could be the signal that Miami is back as a legit top 40 program.

3 Likes

When does camp begin? I’m always interested to follow our progress/health even though Chuck hates giving meaningful updates :joy:

1 Like

I think we can all agree the team can consistently win 6 games. We finished 7-6 last year. With 2 losses removed (EMU and State of Kent) we get there. I could be wrong, but I feel like this one is different.

1 Like

Last year’s camp began on Friday, August 6. We played our first game on Labor Day Saturday. If we follow the same pattern in 2022 I’m guesting camp opens on Friday, August 5.

2 Likes

Players report 4 Aug, they are already there-first practice 5 Aug.

1 Like

Phil Steele has us 1st in the East and ranked 55rd of 131 FBS teams (4th in the MAC behind Toledo / NIU / CMU). Our top position groups in the conference are QB (1st, Gabbert 1st team), REC (3rd, Hippenhammer 2nd team), OL (3rd, Feth 2nd), LB (3rd, McWood 4th), and Coaching Staff (tied 1st with CMU). Schedule is going from 106 difficulty last season to 122/131 FBS. His computer calls for us to have our best offense in Martin’s tenure, but the D to take a step back. Recruiting class was 75th overall, best in the MAC. The MAC was picked as the weakest FBS conference, though if I recall he did last year yet we still finished ahead of the C-USA by his metrics.

4 Likes

If we’re 55th but still only fourth in the MAC, it would imply the MAC has a few highly competitive teams.

4 Likes

Want to note that 55th incorporates strength of schedule (Toledo is 42, NIU 47, CMU 52). In Steele’s overall “power poll” that combines his nine power rankings and basically ranks each FBS team in talent we’re 91st (behind Toledo at 66, NIU 88, CMU 90). There we’re behind UC (30), Kentucky (32), N’western (71), and NIU but ahead our other eight opponents. A few other notes about us and others on our schedule:

• Our QB position is listed as 48th in the nation (OL also nationally ranked at 65th)
  • Our Special Teams were 77th last year and 75th in 2020 after being 6th in 2019
  • Kentucky is projected to be worse than their 10-3 last year (4th in the SEC East) but still good
  • UC is projected to take a slight step back with a ton of players gone, but was still ranked the 2nd-best G5 team this year (Toledo is 6th of 12 listed, the only MAC team) and tied for 1st in the AAC
  • Northwestern is projected to improve and compete for a bowl (6th in the Big Ten West), but we play them right before their first true road game at Penn State so it might be a trap for them
  • West Projected Standings: Toledo 1st, NIU 2nd, CMU 3rd, WMU 4th, EMU 5th, Ball 6th
  • East Projected Standings: Miami 1st, KSU 2nd, UB and OU 3rd, BG 5th, Akron 6th

So Chuck Martin may get to played Toledo for the first time in the MAC championship game!

2 Likes

No - Toledo doesn’t want to play Miami, so they will lose the West to NIU or CMU.

2 Likes

It’s Toledo, they’ll choke before that

2 Likes

I suspect they’re projecting BG too far down the rankings…wouldn’t be surprised to see them finish 3rd in the East at 6-6 and make it to a bowl. They showed some resurgence with that win last year at Minnesota.

1 Like

Got my copy Sat. PS usually does a decent job on the MAC.

Loefler is a clown. BG will not be good.