2022 Fall Football Scrimmage

And several butcher’s aprons.

Good notes for not taking notes. My perceptions were these:

Again, the clear intent appeared to get scrimmage reps to the backup QBs. Smith lead a more run heavy offense with a passing game that was predicated on the run threat. Smith showed some of his ability as an electric runner. He seemed to lead the offense well without any real missteps. The 1’s appeared to be fairly polished in their formations, blocking schemes, and route running. The misses were some dropped balls on a couple of swing routes, the one errant ball thrown to McKee and some series of events that appeared to result in Smith throwing the ball into the leg of a lineman instead of spiking to stop the clock. As for the 2’s, it seemed that Hesson had more passing opportunities with many resulting in DPI calls. It was clear that this group wasn’t as well versed on the playbook with Hesson regularly directing players in the formations but showed some really good play from freshmen WR’s Tracy and Virgil and RB’s Brunson and Snider. It was clear that this group wasn’t as well versed on the playbook with Hesson regularly directing players in the formation.

No question that we will see impact from the transfer class guys mentioned. I think that CM will have more impact from transfers than most, not because of demand but because these guys are that good. McKee is an intriguing CB. He appears to be very aggressive in his play…that was both good and bad. Suttle and Ugwu will provide much needed help at DE.

Overall, the format made it hard to judge the LB’s as they were restricted on how much they could play downhill on the run. I thought that they were well positioned for several tackles. In fairness, the format also ruled runs down that might have resulted in breakout runs.

This appears to be a much deeper roster than those of recent years. Especially in the skilled spots. This could / should provide the depth to win the close games and just maybe win a couple of these early games.

6 Likes

Excited for Ugwu. This kid was a stud in high school and had a ton of offers. Was pretty much written off at Rutgers after injury.

3 Likes

if he can stay healthy and return to some form, with Suttle and Woullard (sp ?)…as well as the Indiana LB transfer, as I think they’ll bring him off the edge…could be dynamic with the inside guys playing well.

2 Likes

“Prior to committing to Rutgers, Ugwu saw offers from Pittsburgh, Duke, Syracuse, Temple, and Nebraska.”

2 Likes

My concern is with the back end of the D. It appears that’s what’s keeping CM up at night.

3 Likes

I’ll be curious if Salopek sees more playing time in the secondary than LB. Feels like it’s trending that way

2 Likes