2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Doug Shearer and James Patton too…

I will give Patton a pass for now as he is dealing with a bunch of freshman and its his first year. ST have been a cluster fuck most of the year. I am not thrilled with the soft as fuck DB play either.

1 Like

My son has had experience with a couple mid-major and a Power 5 football program, as well as a stint in the NFL. He knows college football. He was very impressed with our two tackles. Thinks Vaughan and Holskey are going to be very good. During the game, one of the announcers said that Chuck is very positive about these two tackles. My son said he watched them and told me he thought they both, and especially Vaughan, played very well in the second half and had good futures.
As for Patton, don’t forget he was OL coach at Oklahoma under Kevin Wilson for seven years. One season, his line gave up nine sacks. He has vast experience as well as being a Miami Man. I think we’re lucky to have him. The proof will be in the next season or two (assuming he’s still around).

1 Like

Washington just fired its OC, John Donovan, because of its anemic offensive numbers this year. There are rumblings in Seattle that Jimmy Lake - in his second year as HC after replacing Chris Peterson - may be shown the door in late November. This week’s strange comments about Oregon academics, a decision to punt from his own end zone with 1:56 remaining on a fourth and ten while trailing by a touchdown with two timeouts, and a sideline dust-up with a walk on last night have not helped his cause. And 4-5 is not at all an acceptable place to be in Seattle.

Helton’s contract with Georgia Southern is $4 Million over 5 years:

https://www.wsav.com/sports/new-details-emerge-about-georgia-southern-head-coach-clay-heltons-contract/#:~:text=Helton’s deal is for five,$900,000 salary in year five.

Lunsford’s (previous coach) salary was $680,000 per year.

1 Like

Baylor Assistant Joey Maguire named new Texas Tech HC - joining the team and taking over immediately.

I assume Tech showed him the money.

2 Likes

Walt Bell out at UMass after 3-23 record in two plus seasons. Lost to URI on Saturday. Not at all surprising given the record and the fact that he publicly offered criticism of the school administration for non support of the program.

1 Like

Seems to be earned given that their grand FBS plan was to say yes to MAC football-only membership (knowing that they’d reject an all-sports invite and end up homeless if given the ultimatum, which happened after only a few years) and think that a combo of Gillette Stadium/barely renovated on-campus facility would bring a mediocre FCS program to respectability.

1 Like

UConn hires Jim Mora Jr.

Was one win from the Super Bowl in Atlanta and one win from the Rose Bowl at UCLA, now he’s in the UConn graveyard. Interesting career progression to say the least.

Probably as splash of a hire as you can get in Storrs at this point, though he’s a west coast guy so I’m not sure if he can adjust to the thin recruiting up in New England.

1 Like

Did someone say Playoffs?

1 Like

Jimmy Lake out, as expected, at Washington. It’s been a train wreck at Montlake this season. And talk about a comparison between the haves snd have nots! Lake’s buy out is $9.9 million over the next 49 months. They’re not firing him for cause.

Dan Mullen also on the likely to be fired list. Could David Shaw be in trouble, too?

If Florida keeps playing like they are now, Mullen is gone at the end of the season. He is not getting a Scott Frost sized break.

1 Like

Justin Fuentes out at Virginia Tech…never easy to follow a legend.

How many more get fired before the season is over? We have already had around 12 so far… my gut says we end up close to 20. Then once the season is over, add on a few more after that.

1 Like

If Martin had won a few more high profile OOC games and bowls he might have had a shot at a position somewhere w all this turmoil. OOC games do matter!

In the meantime, time to take care of business in the MAC and win out!

2 Likes

I think Manny Diaz is still a possibility, as well as Dan Mullen, David Cutcliffe, Willie Fritz, Jake Spivital, Seth Littrell,Phillip Montgomery, and maybe even David Shaw. I’d have Rod Carey on the list if his buyout wasn’t a gazillion dollars at cash starved Temple.

When you look at some of the other buyouts - $9.9 million at Washington, $10 million at Virginia Tech and $3.2 million at Temple, Miami seems to have been rather wise in how it structured it’s current contract.

Pretty sure there’ll be vacancies to fill due to promotions on down the road at places like Louisiana, Coastal Carolina, UAB, Nevada, Fresno State, SMU, Houston, and maybe even Central Michigan and Kent - or possibly Kansas.

Cincinnati and Notre Dame could end up open, too.

Probably the most tumultuous year in history for head coaches.

Add another one: Butch Davis out at FIU.

Seems that he resigned based on lack of institutional support. Reports that they were playing with ten-year old shoulder pads and nine-year old uniforms, with no funding for road recruiting trips the past two seasons.