10 greatest athletic careers of the last 50 (or so) years

Take 20 yo McDavid vs 20 yo Crosby. It’s McDavid everyday. Like I said, even in his own draft class I don’t think he’s the best. Lemieux definitely deserves a look for top 5 hockey careers of the last 50 years.

MJ over James on my list

Ah yes the athletic careers of Nick Saban and Willie Belichick.

1 Like

I’m not a NASCAR guy, but I’m going to throw A name out there: Jeff Gordon.

As for baseball, Nolan Ryan.

Probably, although the rise of Djokovic largely coincided with the end of Federer’s prime. Although, they’ve still played some absolute wars (including their several Wimbledon finals). Regardless, it’s been a privilege to watch those 3 play and it’s remarkable how each has been able to keep up their level despite years of wear and tear and the fact that appx. a decade of younger players were ostensibly fresher and hungrier.

3 Likes

We won’t see it again for a long time. Maybe ever. And, Serena on the women’s side. Just insane how good it’s been.

1 Like

Looking at their careers from this point, there is not a hockey GM who ever lived that would take Ovechkin over Crosby.

2 Likes

The question frames it as “athletics careers.” Their careers have been in “athletics.”

who we think are the top 10 career “athletes” of the past half century in no particular order

But does it?

#1 Shelvin Mack

2 Likes

The fact Bartolo Colon is nowhere to be found on this thread is a tragic commentary on society.

1 Like